Mother Intentionally Leaves 2 Toddlers In Car For 15 Hours, Both Die

Crime, News

Two young sisters, 1 and 2 years old, suffered a torturous death after their mother intentionally left them in a car for more than 15 hours while she went to “hang out” with friends.
CNN reported the girls’ mother, Amanda Hawkins, 19, was charged with two counts of abandoning or endangering a child, Kerr County Sheriff W.R. “Rusty” Hierholzer said in a news release.
At the end of the 15 hour abandonment, Hawkins and her 16-year-old male friend took the children to Peterson Regional Medical Center in Kerrsville, but the girls were found to be in “grave condition” and transferred to the University Hospital in San Antonio, according to the release.
Brynn Hawkins, 1, and Addyson Overgard-Eddy, 2, died at the University Hospital around 5 p.m. Thursday.
Hawkins lied to hospital workers about what happened to her children. She decided she was willing to further risk the life of her children rather than face potential consequences for abandoning her children to “hang out” with friends.
The story she invented made authorities suspicious after Hawkins told hospital personnel that she, the 16-year-old and the two children had been at a nearby lake, where the girls smelled flowers before collapsing.
“They thought maybe they’d gotten into something poisonous — that’s what their story was,” Hierholzer told KABB.
Investigators with the Kerr County Sheriff’s office and Kerrville Police determined the children actually had been left inside their mother’s vehicle for 15 hours — from Tuesday night until noon Wednesday — while she and a
16-year-old male friend hung out with other friends inside a residence, the release said.
The sheriff didn’t say what caused the deaths, but he did say temperatures reached into the 90s during the day on Wednesday.
“She left them in the car — intentionally in the car — while her and the 16-year-old male friend were in the house,” the sheriff told KABB. “They were in the house all night. The male friend for a little bit went to sleep in the car
a little while but then went back to the house.”
People inside the house heard the children crying but nobody cared enough to go check on them.
The children were unconscious when Hawkins took them out of the car around noon Wednesday, the sheriff said.
She attempted to bathe them but didn’t immediately take them to the hospital because she “did not want to get into trouble,” according to the news release.
Once she was questioned by police, her fictional story fell apart and the terrible truth was revealed.
After the case goes to a grand jury, the charges against her may be increased, and the 16 year old may also face charges.
“This is by far the most horrific case of child endangerment that I have seen in the 37 years that I have been in law enforcement,” Hierholzer, said.
Hawkins was arrested in San Antonio and was being held in the Bexar County Jail before transfer to the Kerr County Jail, according to CNN.

(Article By Jeremiah Jones)

Leave a Comment