Florida Man Attempts to Burn Down Store to “Do his part for America” Because he Thought the owner was an Arab Muslim

Islamophobia, News, Race and Ethnicity, Racism and Hate Groups

As we reported yesterday, the wave of crime involving White supremacists targeting those who are Muslim of perceived Muslim continues to rise. Many place the blame for these hate crimes on the xenophobic take Trump and his administration have chosen to run this country, racists who believe that America is for Whites and a country that needs to be rid of its Immigrants and people of color, have a friend in Donald Trump. While President Trump says the way he runs his administration is not based in bigotry- orders such as the “Muslim Ban” and the way he his handling the crackdown on undocumented individuals indicate otherwise. While we President Trump is ousting folks from the country at an alarming pace, the White supremacists believe they are doing America’s work by enticing violence on Muslims and minorities. In the most recent incident of terrorism on the part of a racist upon someone they perceived to be Muslim a Florida man enraged that a store didn’t carry his favorite juice claimed “doing his part for America”  when he attempted to burn the building down with the owners inside and  to authorities his intentions was to“run the Arabs out of the country.”

As David Furguson for Raw Story writes:

A Port St. Lucie, FL man tried to burn down a convenience store on Friday because he mistakenly believed that the owners were Islamic Arabs and he was angry at them for not carrying his favorite kind of orange juice.

According to WPTV, police arrested 64-year-old Richard Lloyd when he gave himself up at the scene and told sheriff’s deputies that he was trying to “run the Arabs out of the country.”

Lloyd had visited the store in recent days and got into an altercation with the clerk on duty and the store owner because they did not carry his preferred brand of orange juice. The store owner — who is not Arabic, but Indian and not a Muslim — told WPTV that he is still in shock from the incident and declined to appear on camera.

“When the deputies arrived, they noticed the dumpster had been rolled in front of the doors and the contents were lit on fire,” said St. Lucie County Sheriff Ken J. Mascara in a statement. “Upon seeing our deputies, the man put his hands behind his back and said ‘take me away.’”

Mascara continued, “The man, identified as Richard Lloyd, was read his Miranda Rights and then told deputies that he pushed the dumpster to the front of the building, tore down signs posted to the outside of the store and lit the contents of the dumpster on fire to ‘run the Arabs out of our country.’ It’s unfortunate that Mr. Lloyd made the assumption that the store owners were Muslim when, in fact, they are of Indian descent.”

Lloyd’s plan was reportedly to catch the rest of the building on fire and burn the store to the ground, he said. He was taken to the St. Lucie County Jail and charged with first-degree arson.

In a court appearance on Saturday morning, Lloyd told the judge he will be representing himself in court and that he was just “doing his part for America.”

As these hate crimes continue to rise there is no word from the Trump administration on how they wish to tackle the matter. While they are busy “intensively vetting” immigrants as potential threats to American Citizens, incidents like these and those of recent memory would indicate that he’s looking in the wrong direction.

(Article By Tasha Sharifa)

Leave a Comment