Irving Police Chief Admits Cops Knew Ahmed Mohamed Didn’t Have a Bomb But They Arrested Him Anyway

Police Brutality

News of Ahmed Mohamed’s arrest by Irving, Texas Police quickly swept the nation. Calls flooded in to Ahmed’s high school, and the Irving Police Department, demanding that they leave Ahmed alone. Students brought clocks to school in protest of Ahmed’s arrest and in solidarity with the #IStandWithAhmed social media campaign.
Eventually, Chief Larry Boyd was forced to announce that they were not going to arrest the 14-year-old aspiring engineer.
But he also made some other startling admissions afterwards. As he made the circuit of news interviews, he refused to say on Thursday his department was wrong for arresting the innocent freshman on Monday. But he also admits that when the arrest was made, his officers knew that Ahmed had neither made a bomb, nor presented his clock to people as a fake bomb. In spite of the fact that no law had been broken, they arrested him anyway.
Chief Boyd was given the opportunity by MSNBC host Chris Hayes to admit the officers’ mistake, and apologize to the youth.
But Hayes doubled down on the arrest, saying “I think it’s hard for folks watching this from the outside, seeing this all link up, seeing this kid — who seems like a tremendously poised, bright, genuine kid — be put through this. To not hear from anyone in officialdom down there that ‘Yeah, we didn’t get this one right.’”

“The officers made the decision they did with the information they had with what they thought was right at the time,” Boyd continued. “We are clearly going to review this. We want to always look at ways we can enhance and have a better outcome. There’s a lot of decision points, there’s a lot of alternatives that they have available to them.”
Hayes admits that no bomb squad was ever called to the MacArthur High School campus, nor did they ever consider evacuating the campus.
“Once it’s determined that this is just a clock or just a piece of electronics, why then the arrest and all of that?” the MSNBC host asked Boyd. “That’s very hard for folks to understand.”
“I get that. I understand the concern,” Boyd acknowledged. “The officers pretty quickly determined that they weren’t investigating an explosive device. What their investigation centered around is the law violation of bringing a device into a facility like that that is intended to create a level of alarm. In other words, a hoax bomb — something that is not really a bomb, but is designed and presented in a way that it creates people to be afraid.”
“Right, but he never called it a bomb, right?” Hayes returned. “He just kept calling it a clock. I mean, it never came out of his lips, he never did something or started showing it around saying, ‘Look at this bomb I have.’ He said, ‘Look at my clock.’”
“There definitely was some confusion and some level of information that didn’t come out immediately,” Boyd defended. “With what they had at that time, they made the best decision that they had at that point in time,” he continued.
The explanation was wholly unsatisfactory. Watch the interview in the video below…

(Article by M. David and M.A. Hussein)